Friday, November 12, 2010

Finding Home

In September I attended the True Woman Conference  in Indianapolis, IN.  This was an incredible weekend of worship and learning - plus I got to go with some really fun ladies.  We were having so much fun talking and laughing that first night that the occupants of the room next to us started beating on the wall at 1:30 a.m. for us to be quiet!  You know you are having fun when that happens!  We were properly chastised, though, and meekly said goodnight and turned off our lights for much-needed sleep.

Anyway, since the conference I have been following the True Woman blog and website, and this little gem popped up today, and I thought I'd share it with you.

Finding The Right Church for You

I will second so much of this.  My family left our church home of over 10 years last Spring, for various reasons that had been sort of "gelling" over time.  It was just time, and it was hard, but God has led us the whole way.  So this is a topic that is so much on our hearts right now, and the focus of so much prayer - because you know, it really is easy to see how people can start to feel like they are "shopping" for a church.  Do I like the music, what about the programs, how well did the softball team do last year (you think I'm joking?).  But we are not consumers.  I have a whole lot of deep thoughts on the state of the church in America, and some of the shallowness and worldliness that is out there, and how so often it seems to overwhelm the true work of the Church. 

But I digress.  I always go back to "What is most important" in a church home. 

Doctrine. 

If the Word is preached and taught, if it is sound, if Christ is worshipped in truth, all else will fall into place.  Whether or not there are puppets and drama (okay, those are NOT selling points for me), how busy-busy-busy the ladies' groups are with fellowships and social activities (again, not a selling point), what kind of snacks are served in childrens' church (don't even get me started) - these should not be the things used to draw members to a church - only the opportunity to hear the Word taught, to spread the Gospel, to learn and worship, to give all glory to Christ alone. 

Exiting my soapbox for this morning.  If you made it this far, thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love-love-love comments! If anything I've said touches you or makes you think in any way, please let me know. I check for comments frequently through the day.