Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Reading Goals for 2009

I read a lot - last year I finished 114 books. It must be noted, that a lot of my reading falls into the fun/light (okay, twaddle!) category. Not all of it, but quite a bit. So, for the last few years I've given myself goals.

For two years, I read a classic each month. I have shelves full of books like Jane Eyre, Pride and Predjudice, etc. I just never "got around" to reading them. So, I made a list and read one a month.

That's pretty much run its' course, so this year I decided to tackle the huge stack of Christian books that have accumulated on my shelf. My goal is one a month. I don't necessarily expect to hit that, so I don't have 12 books in the stack - just in case. But here are the ones I set aside as "definite to-read" this year:

Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire - Jim Cymbala (read this month, off to a good start)
The Westminster Shorter Catechism - I am going to just read it - I get bogged down because my copy has review questions and I always try to do them, on paper. This year, just read.
Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
The Church of the East - John Holzmann
In His Steps - Charles M. Shelton
The Evolution of a Creationist - Jobe Martin
Singing Through the Night - Anneke Companjen
Whose Bible Is It? - Jaroslav Pelikan
Evangelical Is Not Enough: Worship of God in Liturgy and Sacrament - Thomas Howard
The Jesus I Never Knew - Philip Yancey
Come Before Winter - Chuck Swindoll

I also have stacks of missionary biographies that I'd like to read - historical ones, like Amy Carmichael, as well as contemporary stories.

I really like to read about other denominations, too. I have read several books in the last few years about the Amish faith, Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox. And, I love to read Church history. Interesting the differences in events, based on who is telling the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love-love-love comments! If anything I've said touches you or makes you think in any way, please let me know. I check for comments frequently through the day.