Monday, January 26, 2009

Our Priorities

I attend a womens' Bible study and discussion group on Sunday evenings. I love it. It has been so fun, especially since it is at a church I don't attend - no preconceived notions about anything or anyone. It is very casual, no workbook or homework. The jumping off place is Proverbs 31, and we take it from there. Mainly, the focus is our relationship with God, and how that plays out in our lives.

Last night we spoke about priorities. All of my adult life, I have had "the list" put in front of me. All together now! 1. God 2. Spouse 3. Children 4. church/home/work/extended family/community, etc. I have also had this expressed to me as "JOY" Jesus/others/yourself. However, the way it was presented last night is that there is no list, in descending order. We have one priority - God. Our relationship with him. When we are right with God, all the rest will fall into place. Instead of a vertical list, God is in the center, like the center of a wheel, and the other items radiating out like spokes.

If my relationship with God - if my study of the Word is solid, if my prayer is from my heart, if I am trusting Him, if I am walking in His ways - then the rest will come. I will not neglect my husband or children (not even for time to blog!). I will care for the home and "stuff" God has blessed us with. I will love others as I am commanded. The order may be different on different days. When a child is sick, I will probably put him first. If the house has hit "disaster stage" then I will make housework my priority that day. And when my husband walks in the door, I jump up and greet him (and have trained the kids to do so, too) and whatever I was reading or messing around with loses its' importance.

God will make His priorities our priorities. And what are they? Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. No checklist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love-love-love comments! If anything I've said touches you or makes you think in any way, please let me know. I check for comments frequently through the day.