Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Reading Log for November, 2010

Here it is, the good, the bad and the ugly.  Actually, this was a really good reading month - lots of 4s and 5s.  For those who don't know this particular idiosyncracy of mine, the number to the left is how many books I have read this year (up to 96, the goal is 100) and the number after the title is my rating, 1-5.  You won't see many 1s and 2s - if they are that bad I don't finish them!

88. Voices of the True Woman Movement: A Call to the Counter-Revolution – 5-Nancy Leigh Demoss and other contributors including John Piper, Mary Kassian, Joni Eareckson Tada, Janet Parshall – a collection of writing from the speakers at the 2008 True Woman conference. I attended the 2010 conference in Indianapolis, and it was incredible – this book is a good reminder of what that was all about.


89. Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel – 5 – Louise Penny – the latest in the series – this is such an incredible book – so many details, with three storylines going at once, all intertwining in the people. Just a wonderful book. Some crude language, but that is it.

90. A Quiet Revolution -4.5 - the history of the current reformation going on within the Southern Baptist Convention. There is a strong movement to return the Convention to its traditional historic roots. Probably only interesting to someone who is a Southern Baptist, and I really enjoyed it.

91. No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green – 4.5 – Melody Green – biography of singer Keith Green, written by his wife Melody. Really an interesting read. Keith’s contemporaries considered him prophetic. He mainly spoke to the Church, to those who called themselves Christians but were not living a life subjected to Christ. Very convicting. God used him so mightily – Keith was saved in 1975, and went to the Lord in 1982. During that 7 year period he grew a world-impacting ministry.

92. Royal Blood: A Royal Spyness Mystery – 4 – Rhys Bowen – one of the more fun light mysteries in this series. Georgianna goes to Transylvania to represent the Royal family at a wedding. There are vampires. Very fun.

93. Radical – 5 – David Platt – incredibly convicting. If we truly lived and discipled how Jesus taught, it would turn the Church in America upside down. I need to read it again to process it. Convicting – so much so, that I wanted to push it away.

94. Little Men – 5 – Louisa May Alcott – one of my favorites, a read aloud with my older boys.

95. Dangerous to Know – 4 – Tasha Alexander – the continuing period mystery series featuring Lady Emily. It was good, and a page turner, but Lady Emily is starting to get on my nerves. And there were some parts of the mystery that were never satisfactorily resolved.

96. Prudence Crandall, Woman of Courage – 5 – Elizabeth Yates – story of Prudence Crandall, a young Quaker woman who opened a school for African American young women in Connecticut in 1833. Really did an excellent job of showing the forces and groups at work in this time in our nation’s history. Prudence persevered through harassment, property damage, and imprisonment. A remarkable woman. I was so impressed by her simple faith, plain speech, kindness and dignity. I highly recommend this book to anyone studying this period of US History. It is a junior biography – I’d say junior high reading level, but still having more mature themes.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've been doing lots of reading! lol. Just so you know, I'll be bringing the photos you asked for to the chess day tomorrow at the library. I think you'll like them!

    ReplyDelete

I love-love-love comments! If anything I've said touches you or makes you think in any way, please let me know. I check for comments frequently through the day.