Saturday, February 4, 2012

Priorities, priorities

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.  Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."  Ephesians 5:15-17 ESV

Life this week has been turned around and upside down. After managing to wax philosophical about the changes in my plans on Wednesday, it seems like I should have been ready for the rest of the week.

It certainly seems that way, doesn't it?  But, not much went according to plan Friday, either.

We did get school done, yjough.  The highlight of the day was our Bible study.  I was listening to Glenn Beck.  I don't usually, because I think he is an alarmist, and slightly off his rocker.  But, he was talking about the crash of society as we know it, and God used that. God showed me clearly that I have not got our priorities right.  There are a lot of days that the kids and I will get math, science, social studies, etc. done - especially Tony and Ben, since they can do most of theirs on their own.  But Bible study requires all of us, it requires time and me sitting down and going through scripture with them.  And sometimes that gets missed.  I will tell them to do some reading, or work on their AWANA, but not sit down myself with them.  And really, what is our priority?  God's Word is always our first, or should be.  The rest will come, if we have our priorities in line. I get myself in a tizzy over the things of this world - preparing for the SAT for instance.  While it is good to teach them math, language arts, science, etc. it has to come second to God's Word.  The Word is eternal, all the rest of this is so temporary.  I say I want to prepare them for a future by educating them, but what sort of future is there without God?  None at all.  Anyway, when I got back home all I wanted to do was crash with a cup of tea and play on the computer for a bit, but we all got our Bibles and continued where we left off in John.  We are just going straight through that book, reading and discussing, and when we finish we will do another.  We also had a great time of prayer together.  The littles are not quite ready to pray out loud, but that is okay.

I should have more unplanned days.  This is good stuff.  The Lord truly ministered to me through the little trials that I had.  If I could just learn to keep my focus on Him and not on my own little plans and ideas, how much better the days go.  And how much more useful to Him I can be.  How much more in tune with His great purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love-love-love comments! If anything I've said touches you or makes you think in any way, please let me know. I check for comments frequently through the day.