Monday, February 27, 2012

It is Monday - What Are You Reading This Week?

This past week I finished The Hunger Games trilogy.  I have many thoughts about the books, which I will elaborate on later this week when I do the reviews for February.  I gave up on Organized Simplicity.  The littles and I finished Pippi Longstocking last night.  Tonight it is Henry's turn to pick our next read aloud.  The bigs and I are in chapter 5 of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and we only read 15-20 minutes a night, so I expect we will be in that for a good month.

Saturday I started Hannah Fowler, by Janice Holt Giles.  This was highly recommended to me by a friend. As a matter of fact, she brought her copy to me and insisted I read it - and her copy was so "much beloved" that she carried it in a ziplock bag, to keep the cover and pages together!  I did take the liberty of taping the book together.  I am on chapter 2, and so far I think this is going to be one that has a place in my permanent library.  It is a pioneer story, my favorite kind. So far it reminds me of The Tall Woman, by Wilma Dykeman, another favorite book (and one that I am going to insist that my friend read in reciprocation!)

Other than that, I have put several books on hold at the library.  We live in a rural area that is not served by a public library.  There are several small libraries in the nearest town (only 15minutes away) that I could pay $20 a year for privileges too, but I pay $60 a year for the system that is 30 minutes away.  I have only been getting there once a month or so (our chess club meets there), so I may have to consider getting the other membership as well.  I find it somewhat vexing that I pay over $1,500 annually in real estate taxes for a school district I don't use, and still have no access to a free library.  Where is Andrew Carnegie when we need him?  (Okay, he is dead, I know that.).

As chess club is this week, I am anticipating picking up a handful of books.  I put several on hold, based on my www.goodreads.com recommendations.

Is anyone else completely loving Goodreads?  I think this has changed my life!

So.......what are YOU reading this week?

4 comments:

  1. I went through a Janice Holt Giles kick a few years ago. At first I thought it was me that recommended it to you, but, alas, I don't carry my copy around in a plastic bag and I haven't actually met you yet. I'm glad you've discovered her! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But if you wanted to bring books to me in ziplock bags, that would be okay, too!

    I found a couple more on bookmooch (still working my way through all those credits you gave me!) and paperbackswap. Will this obsession ever end????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sitting here with a piece of paper making lists of books that sound interesting. I'll add Hannah Fowler to the list!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely add Hannah Fowler. I am not quite halfway through, and loving it.

    ReplyDelete

I love-love-love comments! If anything I've said touches you or makes you think in any way, please let me know. I check for comments frequently through the day.