Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Chowder

This recipe comes from my good friend, Julie Bird.  Her husband Eric is the Pastor at Bloomsdale Baptist Church, in Bloomsdale, Missouri.  As the mama to 6 (so far), she knows how to make food that is quick and delicious.  She calls this "Corn Chowder" but I think the chicken and the south-of-the-border flavors should get the main emphasis.

Chicken Tortilla Chowder

1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
3T butter
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 cup hot water
1/2 to 1 tsp cumin
2 cup half-and-half
2 cup (8 oz) Monterrey Jack cheese (I personally prefer pepper jack)
1 can cream corn
1 can whole kernel corn
1 4 oz can chopped green chiles, undrained
1 medium tomato, chopped (I also like to substitute a can of Ro-Tel, drained)

Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.  In a large pot, brown chicken, onion and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink.  Dissolve the bouillon in hot water.  Add to the pan along with the cumin; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted.

Serves 6-8.  I like to serve with a salad and some nachos!  Fiesta!

2 comments:

  1. Are the tortillas the nachos that you serve it with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is not, technically, any tortilla. Julie calls it corn chowder, but that makes me think of something mild, like potato soup. The cumin and chiles really give this a "south of the border" flavor. I was trying to convey that in the name. Maybe Fiesta Chicken Chowder would be better? The corn does sort of add a corn tortilla flavor. Maybe Chicken Enchilada Chowder? Hmmmmmm.........

    ReplyDelete

I love-love-love comments! If anything I've said touches you or makes you think in any way, please let me know. I check for comments frequently through the day.