Thursday, January 13, 2011

Goal #5...

Exercise at least 3 times a week, besides my regular "on my feet all day" stuff.


Okay, this is a problem.  I hate - can I say "hate" - exercising.  I like to go for walks, but there are no roadways to walk on.  We live in a rural area, no sidewalks, barely even a shoulder on the road.  I really don't want my four sons to be walking down that road, probably wandering into the traffic lane, where cars come zooommmmiiinnng over the hill at you.  We can hike through our woods, but you really can't do that every day.  I have a very nice treadmill, but I don't feel like using it.  I have started stacking my magazines on it.  The idea is that I can ONLY read magazines while on the treadmill.  So, I have a stack of new, unread magazines.  This is really not working.  I tried using an exercise dvd and the boys laughed at me. 

Here's the deal.  I am on my feet most of the day.  I maintain the home, homeschool four kids, help with the business, care for the critters....I just don't feel like doing anything else.  When I have down time I want to be down - to lay down and read a book, check the computer, etc. 

But, I know that I should be doing this.  It is good for me.  It is really just such a low priority, though, that when I look at the things that NEED to be done (like, at least two loads of laundry every day!) that I want to get those things done and I (rapidly) lose any interest in exercise. 

I don't like this goal.  But I know it ties in with Goal #1, getting back to my Lifetime Weight Watchers weight.

I was down .6 today from last week, btw.  Slow and steady wins the race!

Anyway.  I just don't like doing it.  I could go do it right now.  I should.  It would require me changing pants, putting on my shoes, putting up my hair.  It would also require me getting off the computer. 

Okay.  I can do this.  I will do this.

I am off to go do this.  I'll tell you tomorrow how it went.

8 comments:

  1. You can do this Paula!!! Two years ago I said I hated running - with a vengeance. I'm thinking about doing the AF 1/2 marathon in September. Life does change. And that is a good thing! :) Betty K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm holding you accountable! Try looking up High Intensity, Interval Training (Hiit). It has you on and off that treadmill in 20 minutes. It sounds like you could be persuaded to do 20 minutes sometime after your prayer time/Bible study and before the boys wake up? Put your exercise clothes on first thing plus shoes (flylady will love you), do your study, get off the computer and on the treadmill. Done, over with, before breakfast and you will no longer have to dread it for the whole rest of the day. Plus as Father Tim says, exercise gives you energy to do what must be done. It does not take energy away from you. YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty, I think you are nuts, but you looked great at Christmas, so this nuts thing must be agreeing with you!

    Belle, I will look that up. You had to bring Flylady into this, didn't you! :)

    I should do this in the morning - I get up at 6, I have plenty of time. I am at my BEST at 7 a.m. with the coffee coursing through my veins.

    I did get on it and do 30 minutes this afternoon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know me totally against exercise. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rooting for you, Paula! Find something you enjoy doing. And yes, exercise does give you energy!
    Hope things went well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula - after all these years I am crazy. That's what keeps me sane. :-) BK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay - I did it! Got up this morning, had coffee and Bible time, and then did 30 minutes on the treadmill. I used one of the cross-country programs. Considering our basement family room is about 50 degrees and I was sweating, I think I did pretty good! I think this "morning" exercise thing could just be the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm doing mine in the morning too. BEFORE everyone else is up, before coffe, before being able to think about it - 5am. I know. But I'm really doing it this time! Keep it up, Paula. It's for life, so make friends with it.

    ReplyDelete

I love-love-love comments! If anything I've said touches you or makes you think in any way, please let me know. I check for comments frequently through the day.