Monday, January 2, 2012

Good Morning, Monday! Where do you have a bookmark this week?

I took down and put away a couple books yesterday, trying to decide what to start next.  I was about 1/3 of the way into The Paris Wife by Paula McBain, a fictionalized account of the marriage of Ernest Hemingway and Hadley Richardson.  Just couldn't get into it.  Back into the library bag it goes.

I decided to pull a book off my shelves - and the winnah this week is Free Land, by Rose Wilder Lane.  I have been meaning to read this for a while.  A few years ago I read all the "Rose" Little House books by Roger Lea MacBride.  Highly fictionalized, of course, but in the same writing style as the original LH books (also highly fictionalized, but we won't grind that axe today - I love them anyway!).  After I read the "Rose" books, I read quite a few collections of hers and Laura's writings (Laura wrote a newspaper column for years).  I especially loved Rose's collections of short stories in Old Home Town.  Sort of Little Town on the Prairie - the Dark Side.  

Anyway, I am going to read Free Land, which is about pioneers on the Plains.  I am looking forward to it.  My bookmark is also moving through Things We Wished We'd Known, which is a compilation of articles on homeschooling (I read it several years ago, this is just a re-read) and a couple devotionals. 

My review of Free Land will be on the January reading log.

So......what is your bookmark moving through this week?

1 comment:

  1. My bookmark finished Explosive Eighteen last night and just started "The Revolt of Mother and Other Stories" by Mary E. Wilkins Freeman. Mother finally revolted and moved into the new barn that Father built where her new home was suppose to be built. My favorite quote: "Unsolicited opportunities are the guideposts of the Lord to the new roads of life." A nice one for the beginning of a new year donchya think?

    ReplyDelete

I love-love-love comments! If anything I've said touches you or makes you think in any way, please let me know. I check for comments frequently through the day.